[TowerTalk] claim form

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] claim form
From: w5ec@digitalexp.com (Hawkins, Bill)
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 06:10:49 -0500
Read this last night and couldn't stop laughing.
My wife looks at me like I'm crazy.
Bill

At 03:05 PM 6/30/97 -0400, you wrote:
>An insurance company asked for more information regarding a work-related
accident claim.  This was the  response:  "I put `poor planning' as the
cause of my accident.  I am  an amateur radio operator and was working on
the top section of my new 80 foot tower. When I had completed my work, I
discovered that I had, over the course of several trips up the tower,
brought up about 300 pounds of tools and spare hardware.  Rather than carry
the materials down by hand, I decided to lower the items using a pulley.

>Securing the rope at ground level, I went to the top of the tower and
loaded the tools into a small barrel. Then I went back to the ground and
untied the rope, holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the 300
pounds of tools.  You will note in block number 11 of the accident report
that I weigh 155 pounds. Due to my surprise of being jerked off the ground
so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope.

>I proceeded at a rather rapid rate of speed up the side of the tower. In
the vicinity of the 40 foot level, I met the barrel coming down. This
explains my fractured skull and broken collarbone. Slowed only slightly, I
continued my rapid ascent, not  stopping until the fingers of my right hand
were two knuckles deep into the pulley.

>I regained my presence of mind and was able to hold onto the rope in spite
of my pain.  At the same time, however, the barrel of tools hit the ground
and the bottom fell out of the barrel.  Devoid of the weight of the tools,
the barrel now weighed approximately 20 pounds.  I refer you again to my
weight in block number 11.

>As you might imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the tower.
In the vicinity of the 40 foot level, I met the barrel coming up. This
accounts for the two fractured ankles, and the lacerations of my legs and
lower body.  The encounter with the barrel slowed me enough to lessen my
injuries when I fell onto the pile of tools so only three vertebrae were
cracked.

>I am sorry to report, however, that as I lay on the tools, in pain, unable
to stand and watching the empty barrel 80 feet above me, I again lost my
presence of mind and let go of the rope..."