[TowerTalk] Beam alignment II

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beam alignment II
From: alsopb@vance.net (alsopb@vance.net)
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 14:03:16 -0500
AL>Guys,

AL>You people wishing to split a gnat's eyelash with beam/rotor alignment
AL>ought to also consider the following  (part 1 left it out)

5) How are you determining magnetic north?  With your compass?  Forget
it at someplaces.  Local deposits of minerals warp the magnetic field
lines.  I believe that
there is one place in the central part of the US where your magnetic
compass will
tell you that North is South.  These variations can be a pain for you
but the geologists search for them to discover the sources of the
anomolies and possible mineral depositis.
If you don't believe this is so, try using your magnetic compass inside
your high school gymnasium.  I also defy you to ready your compass to an
accuracy of more than 2 degrees.

Brian/K3KO
Vance Net Inc
End Of Message