[TowerTalk] Rohn HD48BX Design and failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn HD48BX Design and failure
From: sjchen@ibm.net (Stanley Chen)
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 09:54:01 -0300
At 09:27 AM 7/6/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Normally one would expect a
>self-supporting tower to fail at the base and fall its length in one piece.

Steve, why do you say that?  Normally free-standing towers (including
crank-ups) are MUCH larger at the base and grow progressively smaller as the
height above ground increases.  Look at the Rohn SSV series for example.  My
70' crank-up failed last year and it folded over at about 2/3 of the
crank-up height, at a point right above a section overlap.  I've seen
several pictures of other crank-up tower failures, and none of those failed
at the base either.  BTW, there were absolutely no signs of damage to my
foundation/base (with over 6 yards of concrete in it) and my new tower is
already using the same base.

73, Stan N3KK
sjchen@ibm.net