[TowerTalk] CATV length

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CATV length
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 21:02:11
At 10:38 AM 7/4/97 -0600, John Brosnahan wrote:

>>              Thanks and gud DX, 73 de WT9Q--Bob
>

>Minimize the error at the highest frequency by cutting to that length, since
>a couple of feet error on the lowest frequency is a smaller part of a
>wavelength
>percentagewise.
>
>But please note  --CATV line can vary from .78 to maybe .86 VF or more.  So
>your biggest error will be from the not well known VF. For best results
>determine the VF for the actual cables you are using.  The velocity factor
>varies as to the percent of bubbles of air and can vary from reel to reel
>from the same manufacturer.  I have even seen it vary from one end to the
>other of a roll--but not nearly as much as from reel to reel.  Use any of the
>popular methods to determine the cable length--grid dip meter, or antenna
>bridge.

Amen, John.  I cut mine to what I thought was the right length, given the
VF I'd been told, and discovered I needed about 10 feet of RG-11 to get the
length right.  I used my Autek RF-1 to get the length correct, trimming the
RG-11 as needed, until I had a good half-wave-multiple at 3510.  Works great.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com