[TowerTalk] beam headings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] beam headings
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 07:14:38 +0100
K5GW wrote:

>I have the good fortune of owning a copy of W5UN's fine EME program
>"Skymoon". One of the utilities in this program displays the sun position at
>your qth at any desired time.

This is the best way of all. There are plenty of sun position programs
around on the Net - search for "VK3UM" (freeware) or for "W5UN".

Pick a time when the sun isn't too high, put on your cool shades, and
squint up at the sun through the tower and the mast. Find a place in the
yard where the tower, the mast and the sun are all in a line. Now rotate
the yagi until the boom falls exactly on the same line. Note the time.
Then run the program to see exactly where the sun was at that moment.
Adjust the rotator controller to display that figure and you're done.

If it's good enough for EME arrays like Gerald's and mine, it's plenty
good enough for HF.

                           www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek