[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Lightning Protection-UPS Power Bullet-Proofing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Lightning Protection-UPS Power Bullet-Proofing
From: ki0dz@juno.com (Mary-Frances R. Bartels)
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 20:36:09 MST
On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 16:54:54 -0400 (EDT) CQK8DO@aol.com writes:
---snip---
>computers and a LAN off of a homemade OOPS, er uh, that is an UPS...
>This consists of a pair of 180 amp hour, deep cycle batteries... a
>1500 watt
>Trace invertor DC to AC...  and a 45 amp battery charger (Todd
>Engineering
>Sales DC 45 - 14 volt, weighs about 4 pounds! ) that is designed for
>motorhomes and continuous battery charging without boiling the
>batteries...It
>accepts 90 to 135 v ac input with regulated output...

   Neat setup.  Looks VAGUELY familiar.  Before I put up the solar panels
I charged four golf cart batteries with a Todd 30 amp charger (ran only a
12V 10 cu-ft freezer off them at the time).  I now use it as a backup in
case of extended cloudy and/or bitter cold weather.  Have only used it
about 1% of the time since the panels have gone up.
   Point to be made:  TODD ENGINEERING SALES INC. battery chargers are
WONDERFUL!  I once had problems with mine and they shipped out one to
replace it while I shipped my unit back to them (they kept mine and I
kept theirs).  There is also an option to decrease the charging voltage
as discharged batteries near full charge.  The price is very good to
boot.
   Haven't gotten an inverter yet (all my loads are DC), but I can vouch
that Trace is the de-facto standard in the alternative energy field.
Their DR (I think that's it) series combines a battery charger with the
inverter.
   Hope this helps others interested in this topic.
                                                       73,
                                                       Mary-Frances

Mary-Frances R. Bartels                         (((#)))     ^     ^
Amateur Radio Callsign: KI0DZ  DM79lt Denver, CO   |         ^ - ^
***Let ME scan your photos and documents!***    -------      (o o)
Ind. Rep. of Watkins products #92389            |ooOoo|    >{  |  }<
http://www.qsl.net/ki0dz   ki0dz@juno.com       -------        "  RRR )*