[TowerTalk] 8 wire rotor connectors??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 8 wire rotor connectors??
From: k3mm@erols.com (Tyler Stewart)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 17:14:30 +0100
KJ6Y@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-07-14 01:24:39 EDT, nw9g@netusa1.net (Steve Narducci)
> writes:
>
> << A few years ago, I remember seeing someone advertising and weather-proofed
>  8 conductor
>  connectors made for rotor cables having a male and female end.
>  I would like this for easily removing the rotor at a later date if ever
> needed
>  (proabably will). Anything to help the job along at 100 ft.
>  Anyone know where I could find such a creature?
>  Thanks and 73's.....Steve.....NW9G
>   >>

> Amphenol makes a water proof type round connector with nine pins you can
> surely find at any parts store.  HyGain was using them on the new rotors and
> then change to a Jones plug, probably due to cost. Check with CATS, he
> advertised one awhile back and probably still has them.
>  Skip, KJ6Y
> Communications Service Co.
> http://members.aol.com/kj6y/skip.html
>
> --
> Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

My feedback from Norm at Norm's Rotor Service is that the original
connectorized Hygain rotators had lots of connector problems.  My
understanding is that the supposedly weatherproof connector they were
using wasnt so waterproof, which led to lots of failures.

Of course, you can use almost any connector that can handle a little
current and you can keep dry.  I like the idea of the trailer
connector:  they should be easy to waterproof, inexpensive, and easy to
install.

73, Tyler K3MM