[TowerTalk] Rotor Removal

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotor Removal
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:50:37 -0700 (PDT)
>Since I'm on the soapbox, here's another related bit of heresy:  The
>so-called "locking collar", usually with sockethead screws which comes with
>some two-part thrust bearings is essentially worthless in our application.
>Those slightly eccentric collars/bearings are intended for use in factories
>and such with one-way shaft rotations.  So they don't really lock properly
>in our application.  Today's free advice:  The bearing itself is fine; throw
>the collar away.  Make your own dead-weight support collar to ride on top of
>the bearing.  Muffler clamps do work, if a bit inelegant. My personal
>solution is the Hy-Gain aluminum block clamshells (redrilled for 3/8 bolts).
>Whatever your personal method is, make it FAST TO USE with a deep-socket
>ratchet.
>
>73, Glenn K6NA

My favorite way to take care of the "locking collar" problem is to just turn
the collar upsidedown, defeating the locking mechanism.  The collar works
fine that way and rides nicely on top of the bearing.

I have had another problem with this scheme, however.  The collar is steel
and so are the allen set screws.  They rust.  I have a set screw I can't get
loose in one of these collars.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com