[TowerTalk] Guying Rohn Foldovers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying Rohn Foldovers
From: mashaum@fcg.net (Mark Shaum)
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 03:06:09 -0500
> From: Rick Wells <Wells@mail.dec.com>
> Anyone know why Rohn specs their foldover towers with the
GAS604 screw-in guy anchors?

> I am planning for the 64' 45G (FK4564) and would rather
dig a hole, mix some concrete and use the GAR30s, I think!
Wouldn't that be a better solution?  The GAS604 is spec'ed
at 2500 lbs holding power, whatever that is.  By my rough
math, that would be somewhere between a 3b and a 3c anchor
block reference Rohn drawing C 620643.

I wondered about that too.. but comments from several
locals who have used the screw-in anchors indicates that at
least with our typical soil in this area, attempts to pull
one out with anything from tractors to large 4wd pickups
snaps 1/4 inch EHS guy wire long before the anchor shows
any particular signs of stress. (Took the big tractor to do
that, the pickup just spun and dug in the tires!).  Your
milage may vary.

I do recall a comment here in the TT reflector about one of
the screw-ins corroding over time and eventually snapping
just below ground level.  But then again, whatever
corrosion factors were working in that case would probably
apply to the GAR as well.

Mark Shaum  K9TR
mashaum@fcg.net
Central Illinois Grid EN50