[TowerTalk] distance to guy wires

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] distance to guy wires
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O. Hachadorian)
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 02:01:55 EDT
On Fri, 18 Jul 1997 22:23:40 -0600 Mike Fatchett <w0mu@sprynet.com>
writes:

>Sorry but I seem to have forgotten my geometry.
>
>Can someone tell me how to calculate the distance from the tower to
>the guy wires from different spots on the tower?  I need to know if I
>have enough room for my 2nd antenna to rotate.
>
>Thanks
>
>Mike
>W0MU

tr = g(h-a)
     ------

where:

tr = allowable turning radius
g = distance from the tower base to the anchor of the guy
    wire you are trying to clear.
h = height on the tower where the guy wire you are trying to
    clear attaches.
a = antenna height

example:
100 foot tower, two sets of guy wires anchored 80' from base.
You are trying to clear the top guy, which is at the 100' level,
for an antenna at 51 foot height.

tr = 80 (100 - 51)
          100

tr = 39.2' allowable turning radius