[TowerTalk] UPDATE: light standards as towers?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] UPDATE: light standards as towers?
From: ftbrady@cosmoslink.net (Frank T. Brady)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:11:16 -0700

>On Fri, 18 Jul 1997 I wrote:

>> I wonder if anyone has located and contacted the mfrs of
>> these round steel light standards that support large banks
>> of lights in schools and parks?

After many tel calls, I've located one manufacturer for the steel
poles (called "high masts").  The outfit is "VALCOM INDUSTRIES"
in Valley Nebraska.

I'm supposed to draw up my application (10 sq ft, 80 lb yagis at
the 80 and 72 foot levels of a 80 foot mast) and fax it to their
engineering/quote people.

The initial 'guestimate' sounded promising (around $2000) and it
is shipped by rail from any of several distribution centers (SLC
Utah for the West) - cost only a few hundred dollars.

"Step bolts" are sold for about $2 each to prepare the mast for
climbers (the buyer must have them welded on).  The mast can be
fabricated in two equal lengths or a 50' and a 40' which telescope
snugly.

This sounds like a very aesthetically pleasing solution - and it can
be engineered to hold very heavy loads (like the giant light banks
for outdoor stadiums).

Questions or comments?

73,
 Frank T. Brady