[TowerTalk] tower identification

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower identification
From: henrypol2@juno.com (henrypol2@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 21:58:57 EDT
I was in northeast Ohio (town of Ashtabula) last week and spotted
numerous small self-supporting towers that were being used as TV antenna
towers.  They look like miniature versions of Rohn's SSV series, about 40
ft tall, all in one piece.  I was only able to observe these from the
street, since all of them were at private homes.  The angle on the cross
braces was so steep that I could not visualize anyone being able to climb
one of them, so they must be light enough to tilt up from the base. In
fact, now that I think about it, I don't even remember seeing a rotator
on any of them. They must have been oriented for receiving only the
Cleveland stations, about 50 miles west.

Anyone know anything about these.  Looks like they might make suitable
self-supporting verticals for 40, or 80 meters (with an extension out the
top).  Or maybe even support a 2, 6, or 10 (small) meter yagi.

73,
Henry Pollock - WB4HFL
Raleigh, NC