[TowerTalk] Emoto rotor in Rohn 25G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Emoto rotor in Rohn 25G
From: davalnew@lynx.sni.net (David Newmyer)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 20:25:12 -0600
>     I am aware that the HAM IV and Create RC5 rotors will fit inside
>     Rohn 25G without hacking away a diagonal brace. What about the Emoto
>     series - say the 1105? I am currently using an Emoto 1200FXX on one
>     tower and it would be nice to have a similar looking control box in
>     the shack for this next rotor. John N3HBX.
>
>--
>Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

John, I'm really glad you brought this subject up. It will likely save me a
bunch of grief. I recently purchased a used Rohn 25G tower that I took down
& brought home. I then took down my old tower, a 35 ft unit of unknown
origin. I had just assumed that my rotor would fit into the 25G as it had
on the old tower, but after seeing your posting, I went and checked. The
only place I could fit the rotor in was at the top of the top section. I
had before, mounted the rotor down about 12 ft from the top of the tower &
used 1.75" fence railing as a mast & telescoped a ten foot section of TV
masting inside of that for small VHF/UHF antennas.

        I could mount the rotor between sections as I'm assembling the
tower, but it would be a big mess if I ever had to repair or replace the
rotor. I was also planning on leaving the mast down inside of the bottom
sections of tower, then raising the mast up inside to the top once the
sections and guys were in place.

        BTW, the rotor is a used unit I bought several years ago used. The
control box is labeled HAM-II/CD44, but I could find no markings on the
rotor itsself. I also have an old TR-2 rotor that goes in & out of the 25G,
but looks like it is too light duty for what I have in mind, antenna wise.

        Just thought I'd throw this out on the reflector for what its worth.

73,

Dave    N0KM