[TowerTalk] Rohn RTP Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn RTP Tower
From: mai@iquest.net (Patrick Croft)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:36:53 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Steve,

Questions/comments on your reply to this fellow;
At 11:07 AM 7/23/97 -0400, you wrote:

        >     The Rohn RTP (Rotator, Thrust Plate) is the ham version of
their popular
        >SSV series tower. It's a self-supporting tower that'll go to 300 feet.

        XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

What is the price for the rotator plate and thrust plates for 1W/1WB and 2W?
Since these are tapered sections, how much vertical adjustment is available
for the mast into the tower section?  These seem to be absent from the Rohn
price directories.

I also note the RTP is limiting the top section to a 1WB, ten foot section,
and bigger sections.
The SSV drawings show the 1W (18'+32" pipe top section).
The drawings really derate the RTP models compared to the SSV (ie; 10sqft
compared to 5.8sq ft.), yet they are basic SSV sections.  Any inputs?

        XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

        >     Getting one of these is different than buying 45G etc. If you are
        >interested in getting a quote on one of them, what you do is give
Rohn your
        >county (for windspeed) and the load that you're planning on putting
on it.

        XXXXXXXXXXXXX

I have a copy of the Rohn factory book, pricing, etc (for distributors and
the dealer/jobber ones too).  It states specific models (based on height and
MPH rate) and the prices for them.  No mention about requesting a custom
quote per the specific site and application.  The leading cellular
tower/monopole supplier on the east side of the Rockies, PyRod, does all
systems by quote like you mention.  Is this new policy for Rohn?

        XXXXXXXXXXXXX

        >Then they design the appropriate tower for that scenario. A typical
cellular
        >headload may be 90 sq.ft.; if you tell them you need 90 sq.ft. of
wind load
        >at 100 MPH with a 1/2 inch of ice - that's what they design and
manufacture
        >for you. Two SSV/RTP's may use the same numbered sections but could be
        >completely different in terms of wind load capacity and materials.
Rohn has
        >10-20 different iterations of each section depending on the wind load
        >requirement.

        XXXXXXXXXXX

In drawing E690800 R12, tower schedule states section sizes, weights, etc.
for each section number. You say these are now a varible in materials and
capacity, but I can't find any reference to this and have asked the factory
for a update.  They aren't aware of any 'varibles' in materials.  A 6N
section will have 2" pipe leg, with 1.5"x1.5" angle bracing, etc. no matter
what.  Its loading abilities will thus be the same regardless.
They simply increase tower section sizes to gain added loading for a
specific height.

BTW, I understand that Rohn is marketing their version of a monopole for
cell sites now, and not recommending the SSV for these.

        XXXXXXXXXX

Bests,

Patrick

>     I'm a Rohn dealer and can get you a quote on any SSV/RTP configuration
>if you're interested. BTW, a recent commercial quote for 120' of SSV rated to
>110 MPH with 90 sq.ft. of headload plus a variety of solid dishes and
>communications antennas was for $12,850.00. This is a BIG tower. An amateur
>tower would be more in the $3-6,000.00 range. Prices of course are FOB
>factory.
>
>     Rohn catalogs that have the RTP are five bucks from TOWER TECH.
>
>73,  Steve  K7LXC
>
>   TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies for amateurs

Bests Always,
Patrick

My address is modified for NO SPAM purposes.
To reply please remove the XX leader.