[TowerTalk] rotating stacked yagis

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rotating stacked yagis
From: millersg@dmapub.dma.org (Steve Miller)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:09:13 -0400 (EDT)
> Is there a mechanism that would permit me to rotate a yagi mounted down from
> the top of the tower by somehow transferring the mast rotation to it?
>
> In other words, imagine a 72ft tower with a long mast running down to the
> 50ft level or thereabouts.  A single prop pitch or equivalent rotator turns
> the mast.  No problem turning a yagi mounted at the top of the mast (above
> the tower top), but can I also rotate one or more other yagis mounted down
> from the tower top x feet by converting the rotation of the mast somehow so
> it will turn the 'side mounted' yagi too?
>
> I give up trying to describe this - hope someone understands me <g>
>
> Regards,
>  Frank T. Brady - W0ECS

When I visited N4AR a few years back, Bill used a similar system for turning
multiple antennas. He used side mounted mast and yard arms that could rotate
300 degrees or so. Water pipe was used to link between the rotor which was
ground mounted (I think) for easy maintainence. The side mount arrangement
supported the antenna weight so there was little or no vertical load on
the water pipe. If I recall correctly, he used Hygain rotors without
additional limit switches. He said he knew the where the limits were and
if he would accidently rotate the sidearm into the tower face, the rotor
would stop turning on its own and not suffer any permanent damage. Although
I would try to avoid this method of mechanical limit stops....

--
Steve Miller   N8SM   millersg@dma.org   http://www.dma.org/~millersg