[TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Tower Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Tower Questions
From: n4gnr@alltel.net (Dan Cisson)
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 18:56:04 -0400
B. Blain wrote:

> I've only worked on Rohn 25 in the past.  Today I had my first
> experience with Rohn 45, and I have some questions.
>
> Boy, it was a lot harder dealing with this stuff than 25.  The tower
> legs did not line up, and many of the sections appear to have one (or
> more) legs that look slightly out of line (optical illusion?).
>
> The sections are NEW, so I would think that this is normal.  If it is,
> what are the techniques for getting the sections up?
>
> Did your legs line up when putting up your new rohn 45?  Were we sold
> damaged goods?
>
> We did get the second section on the first, but one leg was off (to the
> outside) by three quarters of an inch or so.  I used a turnbuckle to
> pull it in, and presto, it's up.  I would think that this makes it
> harder to get the sections apart to come down though.
>
> Any hints, kinks, tips, etc. would be helpfull, and thanks in advance.
>
> 73 de Bruce, K1BG
> bblain@atiradio.com
>
> --
> Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

Bruce, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but from what you say, I
think you have sections that were dropped somewhere in the towers
shipment. This could have happened any where since the tower was
manufactured. The section legs should line up very close. Also the legs
should "sight-in" straight. A long straight edge can verify, or laying
on a flat surface. It is the consumers responsibility to check the
goods. Some trucking companies throw sections around, or drag them off
the truck very haphazardly. If the legs are not too bad, you can rap on
the top cross bar(s) to bring the legs in or out maybe up to a 1/2".
Any further damage than that, you will have to straighten them with
pressure like a press.(i have done this). You probally are stuck with
these sections if you think where you bought them,,will take them back.
They may say you dropped them....Good luck  Dan N4GNR