[TowerTalk] Towertalk RE: Anti Lightning Device

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Towertalk RE: Anti Lightning Device
From: n8ug@juno.com (Press W Jones)
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 17:31:49 EDT
Love the feedback on this subject. When I do the live demo and show the
inability of a strike to occur with our "spikey thing" ( we call 'em
"Porcupines"), while citing and hearing more success stories every day,
it's hard not to be impressed. Jax was a natural, as well, as they've
lots of strike damage in the area all of the time. A classic example is
the big Main street bridge over the St. John's river near the hamfest
site. Damage there  to the structure and its big center lift section and
the huge electric actuating system has been practically eliminated by
"porky's" or spikey things, and a short walk along the pleasant river
area affords a good view of hundreds of them all over the structure in
several styles. I rest my case!

A block away from the river downtown is something else again - the city
hall building has two big towers on the roof festooned with the usual
VHF/UHF sticks, "j's," etc, plus a quad element wire ladder array coming
down from the top of each tower to roof edges that not a single amateur I
asked could explain. We had to leave, scratching our heads and
uninformed. Anybody??????
73
::Press Jones, N8UG
::The Wireman, Inc.