[TowerTalk] Re: LIGHTNING HIT

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: LIGHTNING HIT
From: w2up@itw.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:24:33 +0000
On  5 Aug 97, Press W Jones <n8ug@juno.com> wrote:

> Sorry you were the victim of nature's wrath -- wonder if you could take a
> minute and tell us how the things that were protected WERE protected? We
> follow these things real carefully in hopes that we can help others in
> the future.

Tower = 75 ft Rohn 45, 110 ft from house. 3 ground rods at base,
coax shields grounded at base of tower, cable runs underground (coax,
control lines in PVC & hardline direct burial).
Bulkhead panel at entry with one ground rod. All lines (coax
and control lines) coming in go to lightning arrestor devices made by
I.C.E., mounted on bulkhead panel.
Ground rod thru basement slab just under operating position,
tied to bulkhead panel.
I.C.E. Shunt surge supressors on power line entry panels (2 panels,
ea 200 A)
Telephone lines (3) not protected (yet).

Moral of the story - As Forrest Gump said "shit happens."
73 Barry
--
Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up@itw.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club