[TowerTalk] Whistling trap holes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Whistling trap holes
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 15:14:19 -0400
Hi LB ....and the TowerTalk Gang,

Can't thank you enough for the humorous reply. We absolutely need more
of it... as the occasion,  material and good sense (?) permits.

This one subject has a multitude of humorous implications guaranteed to
send people tumbling to the floor.

Professor Helfenschmaltz is particularly intrigued by the possibility
of YOUR being able to get your antenna modeling programs to calculate
the proper diameter and spacing of the holes in the trap covers so that
they may be tuned ...not unlike a Pan Pipe.  Then, we can finally
unleash the Zamphir DX Siren model on the waiting world. Such a beam
would be horrendously efficient in attracting DX WITHOUT any power
applied to it whatsoever... working mostly on wind energy.  Long winded
operators WOULD have an advantage!

We could do a survey of all the DX stations to see what particular
melody they are most likely respond to in a pile up.  For example...
would "Thus Spake Zarruthrustra" be any more efficient than say...
"Earth Angel" or the "Seinfeld" theme song?  You could change the pitch
of the melodies by swinging the beam rapidly back and forth.

As I recall.... there's a kids toy that is like a flexible pipe and
it's swung around one's head to produce a most eerie sound.  Taking the
end caps off our beams and affixing these toy pipes would initiate a
"whole new dimension" in neighborhood appreciation for amateur antennas.

Pardon me while I duck some fruits and veggies that are being lobbed at
me! At least I'm not long winded this time. Be grateful for little
things. That's what I tell my wife anyway!

73

Roger, K2JAS