[TowerTalk] Noise caused by tower.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Noise caused by tower.
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 11:52:52 -0400
Have you been on the tower when the problem occurs?  Sounds like it might
be a vibration problem due to the wind through the guys.

 If this is the case, you could try installing vibration dampners on the
guys.  These are plastic spirals several feet long that wrap around the
guy.  They are available from Preformed Line Products.

Of course, you want to make sure there is absolutely nothing loose on the
tower, especially near the antenna.  This could be tower hardware, loose or
corroded ground connections, etc.   Anywhere there might be loose metal to
metal contact, especially between dissimilar metals should be suspect.
Your hardline shield should be grounded to the tower at the antenna
connector and at the ground.

Folded dipole antennas are usually pretty good for intermod problems, but
it's always possible something is loose in the antenna array.  You could
try swaping out the antenna temporarily with simple 1/4 wave vertical.

GL!  Ty K3MM

w4an@contesting.com on 08/26/97 11:15:24 AM