[TowerTalk] Connector insertion loss

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connector insertion loss
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 09:44:56 -0600 (MDT)
>     I've installed several miles of Andrew 7/8 inch and 1 - 5/8 inch
>hardline as well as various other feedlines and I don't think I've ever seen
>a captive-pin connector.
>
>73,  Steve  K7LXC

The UG-1185A is the designator for the "Captivated Contact" style
N connector for RG-8 and RG-213.  And this is the connector AND
CABLE to which most are referring.  What is out there for various
types/sizes/brands of HARDLINE is another issue.

On 2000ft of 7/8 hardline the differential expansion of the center
versus shield can have enough force to drive the center pin and center
conductor right through the side of a cast aluminum box!  More than
enough force to pop a Teflon washer out of its captive position.  But
when dealing with cable having a braided shield, the captivated
contact will hold the center pin in position under most circumstances.
It is MUCH better than the old style UG-21x type of connector, but
useful only on 8/213 type cables.

73  John  W0UN