[TowerTalk] tower lifting alternatives

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower lifting alternatives
From: ftbrady@cosmoslink.net (Frank T. Brady)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 21:38:03 -0700
I'm trying to decide whether to hire a flat bed tow truck to unload my tower
when it arrives or build my own hoist.  Also, I would like to build a small
but sturdy 'dolly' with large enough wheels to roll over the hard packed
ground at our new QTH.

Do any of you know of plans and costs for hoists and dollies?

I would imagine that the hoist would have to be suspended from some sort of
rugged tripod with enough height to get the hook above the tower as it sits
on the bed of the shipping trailer. This sounds fairly expensive - maybe
$200 for the hoist and another $200 or so to weld a tripod?

Or are there safe ways to winch the tower off the trailer bed onto
'something' (preferably a dolly whose bed height could be matched to the
trailer bed height by using shim lumber).

I was going to talk to some welders and metal fabrication outfits, but they
are not going to have any where near the experience of many people on this
list - so, when you have time, please contact me by direct e-mail.

Tx & 73
 Frank T. Brady - W0ECS