[TowerTalk] Big Grip Installation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Big Grip Installation
From: dietz@texas.net (Chuck Dietz)
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 22:28:40 -0500
Steve:

    While we are on the subject...I have been making up guy wires with
insulators for my new towers and I used old wire for the bottom and
newly purchased wire for the upper guys.  When I finished with the older
stuff and moved to the rolls of new guy wire I noticed the wire was
easier to work with and was more plyable.  The cable clamps seemed to
deform the dead end more.  (I had to use clamps because of some of the
larger diameters to be spanned-grips elsewhere).

    Question: Have you noticed new wire being more plyable and easier to
work with?

I know I should have used all new wire.  I have heard and agree with the
recent arguments for new wire, but I have had sticker shock over the
accessories I have already bought.  Too bad Phillystran is even more
expensive than the wire/insulator/clamps routine. I have decided that
the guy grips are only marginally more expensive than guy grips, so I
will be using grips with the proper size insulators for 1/4" grips from
now on.  The proper insulators can be wrapped at the first paint
marks...

Chuck, KE5FI