[TowerTalk] Metal House Siding and Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Metal House Siding and Antennas
From: n4kg@juno.com (T. A. Russell)
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 11:46:08 -0600
You did not say how far the tower is from the other side of the house
or how high the house/siding will be.

When you aim at the opposite side of the house, what is the angle
between the antenna and the top of the siding?  If that falls in the
range of 0 to 30 degrees, it can disrupt the ground reflection path
and cost you about 5 dB of ground reflection gain at the angles
which get reflected.

I had a situation where I was beaming across the house from a
tower about 50 ft away with a fixed 5L10 mounted at 50 ft on the
tower.  There was a piece of flashing 18 ft long about 20 ft high
on the house.  This was my WORST antenna to Europe on ten
meters.  After I moved that antenna to a tower with a clear shot
to  Europe, it became my BEST antenna to Europe.  I assume
the flashing was acting as a 10M reflector, preventing the lower
portion of my forward lobe from reaching the proper reflection
plane in the foreground.

de  Tom  N4KG