(Fwd) [TowerTalk] Driving ground rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: (Fwd) [TowerTalk] Driving ground rods
From: w6old@qsl.net (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:54:01 -0700
At 10:25 AM -0700 9/15/97, Bruce Goldstein wrote:
>I used the water method and was able to drive the 8 foot rod in less
>than 10 minutes without even using a ladder.  Just stuffed the hose
>down and kept alternately pushing and pulling the rod.

And then there is western hardpan.  Two "professional" laborers were able
to drive in two 10' ground rods with sledgehammers in only three-hours
time.  Since my planned ground field called for 35 rods, I was looking at
two man weeks of professional labor.

We tried water-drilling (nothing), small electric jack hammers (nothing),
large pneumatic jack hammers (bent the rods) and carbide masonry drills
with 6-foot shafts (bound up).

Now, I know in my heart that the next step would have worked--namely
pneumatic drilling--but I admitted defeat first.  I ended up trenching,
flooding and burying fifty-foot lengths of 1-1/2 inch copper strap.

At some point one needs to listen to the Gods when they say "No."  :)

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada (South of Reno)