[TowerTalk] Re: Waterproofing Connections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Waterproofing Connections
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:53:57 -0400 (EDT)
      While I haven't used them much myself (I tend to remember that I've got
one AFTER I've put the PL-259 on), I suspect that they're somewhat like using
regular heat shrink tubing. That is, over time the rubber material ages in
the wx/UV and the rubber starts to relax/expand. Then what you've got is a
loose (and useless) piece of rubber up there. If you put some 33 or 88 tape
over it, it'll probably do a better job and be more reliable.

    The new generation of coax connector heatshrink has glue inside of it
that melts as you apply the heat that shrinks the tubing. The glue not only
fills the voids in the joint but also bonds the heatshrink to the
connectors/cable. This stuff is great but expensive - about a buck a foot or
more.

73,  Steve   K7LXC

    TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies for amateurs