[TowerTalk] trees as guy anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] trees as guy anchors
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:02:25 -0400 (EDT)
I guess I should have thrown a few qualifiers and warnings in my initial post
about using trees for tower bases and guy anchors.

1.  Know your geography and weather patterns well. Every few miles, within
major geographic regions, there appear be mini-ecologies going on. I would
never suggest using natural objects in areas that flood, are in the hurricane
belt, in sandy soil, etc. K7BV and I are 8 miles apart, separated by a
mountain peak. He gets much more wind and snow than I do, his soil does not
support trees and mine is covered with pine trees growing from between the
rocks.

2. When a tree is an option, find a county agent or arborist who can confirm
that the species you select has an extensive root system and is not prone to
blow down in wind and ice.

3. Inspect any tower and guy installations at least every six months for
changing conditions in the base, tower and guy assemblies. I have seen many
dangerous situations that could have been avoided with a little preventive
maintenance.

4.  DON'T TAKE CHANCES! If it doesn't feel safe, it probably isn't. I've been
involved in the erection of at least 50 towers and I don't know how we have
avoided seriously hurting someone because an individual took a chance or a
shortcut and made safety secondary to expediency.

73 and DX,

Tom Taormina, K5RC