[TowerTalk] Ground rod insertion - progress report

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground rod insertion - progress report
From: w2up@itw.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:42:11 +0000
Just thought I'd give some follow-up to my ground rod inquiry a few
weeks ago.

I called a few of the local rental places, and we came up with a
Bosch electric chipping hammer (weight about 30 lbs) and a "ground
rod inserter" (unknown brand, weight about 60 lbs.)  I thought
carrying 60 lbs up a ladder would be a little unwieldy, so went with
the 30 lb. Bosch hammer.  I don't know what the difference is
between a chipping hammer and jackhammer - maybe the length of the
storke? The rental place made up a bit for me by welding a 8-10 inch
long, 7/8 inch diameter pipe to the impact bit.

I used an 8 lb. sledge to get the first 2 ft. or so of the rod in the
ground, relatively easily. Then, used the Bosch hammer, climbing a 6
ft ladder for the rest. It worked great, until 1. hit a pretty good
rock about 6 1/2 ft down, and 2. the pipe broke right at the weld.

The weld itself looked OK, but the metal pipe broke just at the edge
of the weld. The rental place is going to talk with their "welding
expert" to see what the problem was. I don't know what metal the pipe
was made of, but maybe the heat caused some structual changes?
Hopefully, they'll make a new, improved bit, and we'll continue in a
few days.

73 Barry
--
Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up@itw.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club