[TowerTalk] Lightening damage to foundations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightening damage to foundations
From: seay@Alaska.NET (Jan & Del Seay)
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:22:02 -0700
Like the others who have asked, I'd like to have some firm
information on lightening damaged foundations. I've seen a lot
of towers being struct, mostly TV and Broadcast because of their
height, but have never seen any damage to the structure.

One time I saw a cinder block building that exploded from a
major lightening strike on the power grid, but the towers were
unharmed. (Terry Peak in South Dakota).

All the design work I've seen has the cage attached in one fashion
or another to the tower. Rohn has setions that they recommend
extending thru the concrete into the gravel underneath, and of course
that is a major connection to the tower.

If you have any stories or photos, it would sure be welcomed.
de KL7HF