[TowerTalk] Guy Grips with Rohn Torque Arms

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Grips with Rohn Torque Arms
From: k3mm@erols.com (Tyler Stewart)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 05:11:10 +0100
Chuck Dietz wrote:

> I thought I had my 2 tower erection project all ready when I noticed
> some 1/4" thimbles in one of my Rohn 45 torque assemblys.  The hole
> looked small so I tried a 3/8" thimble in it and sure enough, it was too
> small to accept the 3/8" thimble.  Therefore I cannot use the 1.4"
> preformed guy grips because the radius of a 1/4" thimble is too small.
>
> Now I know that in the "old days" we never cared about the radius a guy
> wire or a guy grip was going around, but I am trying to do it right this
> time...
>
> Do I just "surrender" and use 1/4" clips with the 1/4" thimbles at the
> torque bars?  (This is my soloution) or does anyone have a better
> soloution where I can use grips at the torque arms?
>
> Chuck, KZ5MM (ex: KE5FI)
>
> --
> Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

Yes, you have to use a shackle in between the arm and the thimble.

The pin of the shackle goes through the arm hole, with the shackle and
thimble linked together.

BTW, in case  you are wondering, for 1/4" EHS, you need 3/8" heavy duty
thimbles. (The thimble is always 1/8" larger than the cable size)

73, Ty K3MM