[TowerTalk] loosening rusted bolts/tower joints

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] loosening rusted bolts/tower joints
From: n2nl@algorithms.com (Dave Mueller)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 12:34:08
   I have seen quite a bit of talk about using liquid wrench or WD40 to
break free rusted bolts or tower sections.  If that doesn't do the trick,
let me recommend a trick we use at work that always does the trick....
   I work at a boiler plant at the USCG "boot camp" in Cape May NJ.  We
often have bolts or pipe fittings that need to be broken free that are so
"stuck" that even doubling up wrenches or breaker bars won't help.  We heat
up the joint and once it gets hot touch some parafin wax against it.  The
heat melts the wax and wicks it into the joint.  The combination of the
heat and wax makes it possible to break it free, and it has never failed us
even with 4" pipe unions that are 20 years old.
   It may be difficult and dangerous to do this up a tower, but with a
small propane torch I'm sure it can be done safetly.  Of course with rusted
U bolts it is probably easier to just break off the nuts and replace them...

Hope this can help someone....

73, Dave N2NL

N2NL@ALGORITHMS.COM
Dave Mueller, N2NL