[TowerTalk] mfj 259

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] mfj 259
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 03:56:15 +0800
hi all,

we all read here about neat things you can do with your mfj259.  i
found a thing *NOT* to do with an mfj259!!

before CQP, i was up on my roof, adjusting the length of a 40m
dipole, to bring it down to about 7.06 or so.  i was using my mfj259,
and when i got it where i wanted it, i reattached the coax to the
balun, and went into the shack to make sure it looked right down
there.  7.06, swr about 1.2 excellent!

i left the mfj connected to the coax.  (hint:  the last sentence
is the thing you shouldn't do with your mfj259)

well, the cqp started, and i was wailing pretty well on 20 and 15.
saturday evening i went to 40m on my vertical.  i went to 40cw, and
went to hook up the dipole.  i unhooked the mfj259 (no time to check
it now!) and used the dipole.  it worked beautifully!

when the "party" was over, i checked the dipole again with the
mfj259.  very low swr... on all frequencies!  very low resistance...
on all frequencies.  my quick diagnosis is: the mfj259 has been
fricasseed!  remember, don't put power into it, not from a
transmitter, (DUH!) or even from an antenna somewhere near a
transmitting antenna (DUH!)

repeat: don't try this at home!

73, k6gt (the dummy)