[TowerTalk] Clicking Noise G 800SDX Rotator

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Clicking Noise G 800SDX Rotator
From: tgold@panix.com (Anthony R. Gold)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 16:09:10 GMT
In message <v02130500b07109e43c0f@[207.22.5.42]> rlubash@poco.mv.com (Richard
Lubash) writes:
> I Just put up a Tennadyne 10 element Log Periodic and am using a new Yaesu
> G 800SDX Rotator. I have noticed after changing directions a few minutes
> later the Rotator Control box lets out from one to a series of clicks
> (relay or ratcheting). I was wondering if this was normal or it was time to
> exchange the unit before the 10 day exchange period was up.

I wonder what is clicking?  The only relay that I can hear is
coincident with pressing the motion switch or is heard when the head
reaches the pre-set point, but note that mine are not the 800 size.
Otherwise my control boxes are quite silent or have a very quiet purr
in motion. If I leave the rotor on the preset, then if the wind pulls
the beam off, the preset relay might come on to correct the heading.
Are you controlling the beam with the motion rocker switch or keeping
pre-set engaged and controlling with the pre-set control knob?

BTW, I am amazed that the G-800SDX can manage a real grown-up beam. I
use the G-1000SDX for quite modest antennas and have G-2700SDX's (now
I guess it would be G-2800SDX) for heavy moving.  I only use Yaesu's
and I wonder how other people can live without the 90 deg. over-run.

Regards,
--
   Tony - G3SKR / W2TG                   email: tgold@panix.com