[TowerTalk] Horizontal Loops at low heights

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Horizontal Loops at low heights
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 06:54:55 -0600
If you want to transmit on this antenna, it needs to be higher to
minimize
ground losses.  A horizontal loop (or dipole) makes a good "cloud warmer"
when placed between .1 and .2 wavelengths above ground, actlng as a
2 element parasitic array pointed straight up.  If a loop is used, it
should
be electrically equal to 1 wavelength.  At 1800 ft, you would have 4 long
wires combined in a square, with the main lobes trying to radiate at low
angles but with LOW ground reflection coefficients at low angles due to
the low height (a poor combination).

de  Tom  N4KG