[TowerTalk] 75 ohm hardline/twinlead

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 75 ohm hardline/twinlead
From: na2n@ifam.com (Greg Becker)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:26:30 -0500
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:25:41 -0500
From: Greg Becker <na2n@ifam.com>
To: Press W Jones <n8ug@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75 ohm hardline/twinlead

Press W Jones wrote:

> Holy cats, Greg - what problems? We work hard at putting together good
> product that stands with or above the best of them, and we back it up all
> the way. If you had a problem, we want to know about it -- please!
> What problems can occur making coaxial baluns?

At KY2J's. Baluns acted REAL screwy - dozen 5-6" turns or so, put a 50
ohm resistive load on the output, sweep the input, & get
frequency-dependant variations at the input ranging from 20 ohms to over
100 ohms. Wound a second balun - same effect. Crimp on connector instead
of solder - same effect. Different jumpers - same effect.  Put the load
directly across the meter - fine. Identical balun with different
manufacturer's RG213 - fine. Ferrite cores on the coax - fine.

Don't know what was causing the variation, but it was definitely related
directly to the coax Bob got from you.

--
Greg Becker   NA2N   na2n@ifam.com
IFAM - Ideas For American Manufacturers