[TowerTalk] Grounding Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding Question
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 12:40:33
At 01:29 PM 10/31/97 -0600, Lee Buller wrote:

>I have learned through the school of hard knocks to ground all your
>equipment to a single point.  Don't use a buss bar type ground behind the
>desk.  Ground everything to the same point and then ground that point to a
>ground rod.  Keeps ground loops from occuring....so I'm told...so I have
>experienced.

Hmmm... I just put in a 3/4 inch piece of copper pipe 5 feet long on the
back of my desk, with everything tied to it with heavy pigtails.  It, in
turn, goes to my single-point station ground.  I would think that the
inter-unit resistances would be low enough with this set-up that it would
effectively BE a single-point ground.  am I kidding myself?

BTW I have no symptoms of grounding problems except for a hummy DVP, for
which grounding the computer, etc. seems to do zero good.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"