[TowerTalk] "Up The Tower" in December 1997 CQ Magazine

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] "Up The Tower" in December 1997 CQ Magazine
From: dave@egh.com (David Clemons)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 18:16:37 -0500 (EST)
        Anyone who owns a crankup tower should read this article,
especially the two personal experiences concerning safety issues
when working on these things (in short, DON'T CLIMB!).

        When I was old enough to know better (30 to be precise), I
had a 55 foot TRI-EX (about 20 years old at the time) and a couple
times I climbed it about halfway.  Of course I was young, strong,
and invincible.  Besides, I did put a 2x4 in between the sections
on the way up.  Safety belt, what's that?  Fortunately the middle
section was awful skinny, so I couldn't go very far up on that
section.  Now as I read these accounts and look back at that stupidity,
I feel really fortunate and blessed by God that nothing happened to me.
Later on I met Bob KA1GG, and he taught me a great deal about towers,
including what a safety belt is used for and why!

        Steve also warned about runaway crank handles.  It happened to
me once.  I made a quick decision to try and grab it so that the tower
would not get damaged as it came down full speed.  It was an incredibly
bad decision.  I still remember laying on the ground in pain.  I didn't
break my hand, but it sure was sore for a long, long time.

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT