[TowerTalk] Roof Top Tower Grounding Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Roof Top Tower Grounding Questions
From: wmhandy@concentric.net (William E. Handy Jr. - K6LF)
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 13:56:34 -0800
Hello Group,

I would like your advice on grounding my roof tower.  Installation is
currently in progress.  I have a 9' tall Glen Martin bolt-together
aluminum tower going on top of a single story composition roof home.
There will be a 4-element beam with rotor on the tower.

I have #4 copper ground wire to run from the tower to earth.  One path
available for the ground run terminates very close (24 to 36 inches) to
the ground rod that the house electrical panel uses.  Another path
brings the wire over the front of the home (not visually desirable) into
an area far from the electrical ground rod.  Which would be a better
choice in your opinion?  Should I do both?

The tower is in full contact with the roof surface. Should I insulate
the copper wire off the roof surface?  If so, any ideas for the standoff
material?

The coax feed lines will come straight down through a plastic conduit
directly to the shack.  Should I plan to short the feed lines to the RF
ground rod when not on the air or would it be better to just disconnect
the feedlines from the radios.  In either case should the RF grounds
(and power cables) from all radios be connected or not when the station
is inactive?

Thank you for your consideration.

73 de K6LF  Bill