[TowerTalk] Rivets

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rivets
From: k4sb@worldnet.att.net (Ed Sleight)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 05:46:33 -0800
Pete wrote
> The only complaint I've ever had with self-tapping screws is that if you
> drill the outer hole small enough, the screw will tend to cold-weld
> material from the outer and inner tubing together, making disassembly hard
> later.
> 73,
>
> Pete N4ZR

Such is so. I forgot to mention that after setting the screw, I
remove the element and file down the area around the tap. Plenty of
NoAlox and they come right apart. Just moved QTHs after 20 years, and
had no problem with any of the antennas. Another thing which can be done
with tubing in the 3/4" range is to clean out the inside of the tubing
with one of those dohickeys which are used to ream the inside of
automobile brake cylinders. Matter of fact, I do that on both tower
and element sections.

73

Ed