[TowerTalk] Antenna Wire Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Wire Question
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 18:39:33 -0600
Fellow Towertalkians -

I know this has been discussed before but I lost my files.

What are the trade-offs between different types of antenna wire?

I have a 100 ft center-fed Zepp between two towers at 90 ft.
It was made from small gauge stranded copperweld.  After
six years, it is heavily rusted and starting to fray.  Also, my
Johnson Matchbox will no longer tune to a perfect match
which makes me wonder about the integrity of the soldered
connection of the ladderline and antenna wire.

I have an ample supply of insulated #14 solid copper wire.
I know this will stretch, but the price is right.  Will it "strecth
harden" and then quit stretching or will it stretch until it
breaks?

What is the best wire to use for dipole antennas between
towers that must support a feedline at the center?

de  Tom  N4KG