[TowerTalk] Collins Coaxial Balun

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Collins Coaxial Balun
From: geo.johnson@worldnet.att.net (geo.johnson@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 21:26:25 -0800
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your note.  I wish I could find my old issue!  As I recall
the design, a larger inductance (more turns) will be needed on the lower
frequencies to obtain good balun 'operation'.  This design actually does
behave as a 'bandpass' transformer.  It is a short circuit at DC.  It is
limited at the upper end by its self resonance (just like any coil).
The dimensions are from my notes wherein I referenced the article
directly so I think it is W6TC's version which I use for my tribander.

I have used the device on a G5RV which worked fine but I would not have
confidence that I had good 'balun' transformation on 80m or 40m.
Correspondingly, the version with more turns would probably not work
well at 10m or 15m.  I defer to W6TC's discussion which, as I remember,
noted his measurements of different designs.

In the meantime, I'll dig through my stuff and see if I can find any
more information.  Now my engineering instincts have been piqued!!

73, George W1ZT