[TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest] 2L - 40M Delta Loop

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest] 2L - 40M Delta Loop
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 16:02:47 -0600
2 Element 40M Delta Loop   at N4KG

I used the formula lengths (DE = 1005/F and REF = 1040/F)
fed at the center of the bottom part of the loop with RG59 going
to 75 ohm hardline for a total length that was an odd number of
quarter wavelengths, making a 100 ohm to 50 coaxial transformation.
(I put aligator clips on the shack end and spliced in various lengths
of RG59 until I found the 50 ohm point, then made a permanent
piece of RG59 to connect the hardline to my antenna switch.
You can also feed at the apex, whichever is easier.

To make reversible loops, make both  loops the same size (1005/F)
and feed each with 3/8 wavelength (electrical) of RG59. Use relays
to switch BOTH the center conductor and braid. The open ended
line will transform to an inductance at the unfed loop, making it look
like a reflector.  Continue with 75 ohm line to make an odd number
of quarter wavelengths to transfrom 100 ohms to 50 ohms.
K1ZZ used  this technique years ago and had excellent F/B in
Alabama when he switched directions.

For short towers (less than 90 ft), it may be preferable to use
vertically polarized delta loops, feeding 1/4 wavelength down
from the apex.  If the bottom wire of the loop is close to ground,
you may need to shorten the loops by 3.5% (that is my experience
with single 80M loops whose bottom wire is10 ft above ground.)

Two element inverted vees also make sense with towers in the
70 to 100 ft range.  It is desirable to make the apex angle >120
degrees if possible. (One advantage of the delta loops is that
the apex angle is only 60 degrees, requiring less real estate
but greater height.  A 40M equilateral Delta Loop is
approximately 40 ft in height.)

Of course the Delta loop may be scaled to any band.  A single
sloping rope may be run from a tower, supporting delta loops
for several bands, all in the same direction.  From the Carib,
run one line to EU and another to USA/JA.  Good gain, low cost,
easy to install.  All you need is one sufficiently high support!

de  Tom  N4KG