[TowerTalk] G5RV pattern

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] G5RV pattern
From: cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (L. B. Cebik)
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 07:07:08 -0500 (EST)
> Q: Are the major lobes of the G5RV documented for each band so that I can
> position it in the best direction - or is it somewhat omni-directional?  The
> easiest run would be between a 50ft mast and the only tall tree available,
> but this would be running North and South - the orientation I've always
> tried to avoid with other wire antennas.
Frank,

The patterns for a 102' doublet, which is what the G5RV is before the
feecd system, are independent of the feed system.  There is at my site a
compendium of 102' doublet patterns from models at 35' and 50' (combined,
so that on some bands, one has to be careful in tracing lines).  The
relevant item is in the series of articles done for Low Down, the CQC
journal--and the index entry is located under Miscellaneous at the bottom
of the Tales and Technicals.  There are patterns for 80-10 meters,
including WARC bands.

A couple of readers have asked why I went to all the trouble to make so
many patterns.  Your question answers theirs.

Hope the material is useful.

-73-

LB, W4RNL

L. B. Cebik, W4RNL         /\  /\     *   /  /    /    (Off)(423) 974-7215
1434 High Mesa Drive      /  \/  \/\     ----/\---     (Hm) (423) 938-6335
Knoxville, Tennessee     /\   \   \ \   /  / || /      (FAX)(423) 974-3509
37938-4443     USA      /  \   \   \ \       ||              cebik@utk.edu