[TowerTalk] Aluminum Self-Supporting Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Self-Supporting Towers
From: k7sv@juno.com (Larry G Schimelpfenig)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 08:23:58 EST
Dave,

I had a 90 foot Universal rated at 8 sq feet as I recall some years back
while I was
still in ND. I had a 204BA on it. My first comment is that as soon as I
had 40 feet of it up I decided there was no way I'd climb it to 90 feet
without guys. It held up okay for one winter of ND winds with the 204BA,
but I think it was more luck than anything.
When I started traveling around with the Coast Guard I sold the bottom 30
feet and put a 2 element quad at 60 feet with it guyed. IMHO, a long
boomer is going to tear it up in short order.

73 de Larry K7SV (Who's been working on Rohn 45 and 55 very comfortably
at NJ4F in recent years!)