[TowerTalk] FIBERGLASS TAPE vs. "NORMAL" TAPE

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FIBERGLASS TAPE vs. "NORMAL" TAPE
From: perring@texas.net (Bob Perring)
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 07:40:10 -0600
Hello All,

I have seen several threads on the sealing of coax connectors, traps,
element junctions, etc.

All of these talk about heat shrink, electrician's tape, rubber tape,
tube caulks, etc.

For a lot of these applications wouldn't fiberglass tape and resin, such
as you get at automotive supply stores work?

As but one example, wrapping 40-2CD traps in fiberglass tape so as to
isolate them from the elements. The end result would resemble an epoxy
encapsulated assembly, completely waterproof, and almost as well sealed
as hermetic enclosing.

Another might be, wrapping the split coax leads as they exit from a
winding of coax as an rf choke and feed to the antennas, or around PL259
connectors in bad environments.

Applying tape and fiberglass resin to a surface results in a very durable
and weather impervious sealant.

I realize that some situations for sealing might require special
considerations, such as the possible need for flexibility, repeat removal
and re-use, etc., but for those really serious sealing applications, the
fiberglass tape and resin would seem to be a natural, but often
overlooked, product that might readily fit some very real amateur radio
antenna sealing applications.

P.S.

Don't tell my 1969 VW camper bus I mentioned using her fiberglass resin
and tape on antennas. She thinks the stuff was invented just for her.

73,

N5RP

Bob Perring

Houston, Texas