[TowerTalk] Helium Balloon-Supported Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Helium Balloon-Supported Antenna
From: hires@rust.net (Floyd Soo, W8RO)
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 02:07:31 -0800
Allan K Chapman wrote:

> Need information on balloon-supported antennas, and would like to hear
> from anyone with info regarding uses of helium balloons to support wire
> antennas.
>
> Gibson Girl emergency radios used the "kytoon" to support long wire
> antenna. That kytoon had airfoils producing lift offsetting the
> tendency of the tethered balloon to be blown down in strong winds.
> My need is very similar to that, with total payload weight under 100
> grams (4 ounces).  Duration of flight  several days.
>
> If you have experience with kytoons as sky hooks, and especially if
> you can help locate a source (better than weather balloons), your reply
> will be appreciated.  73  Allan  W6MEO

Allan,

My only suggestion to you regarding balloon or kite supported antennas
is this:  They had better be well grounded!  There may be 2 things you
will have to deal with.  First, if there is wind blowing, it will
probably induce quite a charge on the wire.  Second, depending on how
high the antenna goes up, there is a charge gradient of sorts that will
also induce a charge on the wire.  These charges are enough to give you
a hell of a poke or possibly damage static sensitive gear.

That's my .02 worth from experience with both support systems!

73!
--
Floyd Soo, W8RO
President, HI-RES Communications, Inc.