[TowerTalk] rohn 25 and yaesu rotator

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rohn 25 and yaesu rotator
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 10:18:06 EST
In a message dated 97-12-24 08:34:40 EST, rbjaeger@worldnet.att.net writes:

> i currently have a rohn 25 tower with a ham iv rotor . I am
>  thinking of replacing the ham iv with the yaesu g-1000sdx rotator. My
>  question is will i need a
>  new mounting plate in the top section or will the one used for the ham
>  iv be usable .
>  The replacement is because of additional antenna load . Or do the two
>  rotators have about the same load rating?

      For starters, the Ham IV is rated at 2800 ft.-lbs. of Effective Moment.
(EM is a better measure of a rotator's capacity than just square feet.) The
G-1000 has an EM of 2020 ft.-lbs. I would suggest either repairing the Ham IV
or upgrading to a bigger rotator. What exactly are you planning to rotate?

      A TailTwister won't fit into 25G (there are a couple of ways to install
one so it's not impossible, just unlikely) so your options are a bigger Yaesu
or Create. The Creates don't have published EM figures but mechanically they
have some improvements over the aforementioned rotators.

73,  Steve  K7LXC