[TowerTalk] baluns and wire antennas (kinda long)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] baluns and wire antennas (kinda long)
From: henry@rio.com (henry gillow-wiles)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 23:07:39 -0800
i have a th-7 w/the lower power balun (i can never remember model numbers)
and have played high-power guy for a while near the band edges.

i have the loan of an alpha soon and with that comes the ability to run
rtty at higher power than i'm used to. having read the thread saying the
balun goes away with the application of a combination of power and higher
than normal swr, i paniced.

i swapped it out for a bencher za-1a high power balun i had laying around.
while i was up there, i changed out the little connector wires for some of
a much larger guage.

did i just shoot myself in the foot?
do i have to buy the high-power version from hy-gain?
 how much effect does changing the model of the balun at the feed point have?
does the hook up wire length and guage make a difference?

second part

while i was up there, i changed my 80m inverted vee at 60 ft to an end feed
sloper at the same height. i went from not hearing much to not hearing
anything. i know there are better receiving wire antennas, but for now this
is the choice. sloper vs. inverted vee.

can i make the sloper hear better?
can i make a sloper hear better than the v?
can i make the v hear better? i can turn the sloper back into the v
do these antennas hear better than an end feed zepp? maybe another choice

i realize that the answers depend on the situation and other variables. i
have the ewe antenna in the works, but it will be a while before that goes
up. generalities and broad answers will be helpful.

thanks to all those that helped me with my what radio to buy questions, and
all the other stuff i've asked.

henry   kb7rta
henry gillow-wiles
henry@rio.com