[TowerTalk] Does the JPS ANC-4 work?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Does the JPS ANC-4 work?
From: dab@kaiwan.com (Doug Brandon)
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 10:01:23 -0800 (PST)
I've been plauged with some pretty bad local noise for quite a while now.
It sounds like power line or some other sort of mechanically generated
noise that shows up out of the blue and stays on at a constant high level
for many days at a time.  It doesnt just go away, but sort of "bleeds" off
and slowly diminishes in strength over a few days until it completely
disappears.  Sometimes it is quiet for weeks, and other times it doesnt
go away for weeks.  The noise blanker in my 930S manages to chop it down
from S8-S9 down to the S3-S4 level, but obviously strong adjacent signals
cause the front end to chop like crazy.  I've tried to keep a log of when
it occurs to see if there is any sort of pattern, but I gave up since it
seems to be pretty random.

The noise doesnt peak in any direction when I turn my beam.  I've also
walked around the neighborhood with a transistor radio and was unable to
find anything.  The noise is strong on HF, VHF, UHF, and even causes
sparkles on my cable TV.  I have another ham friend who lives about a
mile away and he doesnt experience this, so I know it's something in
or near my neighborhood.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I'm wondering if anybody has used the
JPS ANC-4 or corresponding MFJ product with success.  I've heard they
do a pretty good job with man-made noise which is what I seem to be
dealing with.  I doubt I'll ever get rid of this noise, so I'm hoping
one of these devices will help my situation.

   73 de Doug, N6RT

  Doug Brandon        http://www.kaiwan.com/~dab       dab@kaiwan.com