[TowerTalk] 75 ohm power limits

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 75 ohm power limits
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 09:52:24 EST
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998 18:47:29 -0800 henry gillow-wiles <henry@rio.com>
writes:
>I have plans for another tower and want to feed it with some 1/2 inch
>75
>ohm hard line. I run 1.5 kw sometimes and was wondering about the coax
>handling that much rf. Can I tell from the markings on the jacket?

K1VR:  No, you cannot tell directly from the markings on the jacket.  You
must tell indirectly, by looking up the mfr and coax model from the
markings. But I feel safe in assuring you that 1.5 KW from 1.8 to 30 MHz
is no problem for SWR's under about 3:1  (perhaps more).